Making Changes to Accounts & Overpayment

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

Making Changes

It is a student's responsibility to inform the Financial Aid and Awards in writing of any changes in their course load, student status, etc., for the purposes of updating their OSAP account. 

It is strongly recommended that you consult Financial Aid and Awards before making any changes to discuss the impact of the change on your OSAP funding.

Course Load Changes and Opting-Out of Ancillary Fees

Financial Aid and awards regularly monitors course load changes for every student who is receiving OSAP funding. Increasing or decreasing your course load or opting out of ancillary fees can have significant impacts on both your OSAP entitlement and your eligibility for OSAP funding.

If you are concerned or have questions about how changing your course load impacts your OSAP entitlement, please contact Financial Aid and Awards.

Income, Status, and Other Changes

Common changes that you must notify Financial Aid and Awards about include (but are not limited to):

  • Changes in your income information (e.g. receiving an additional scholarship)
  • Changes in your status (e.g. changes to your marital status, birth of a child)

Once you have submitted your OSAP application, you will not be able to make changes to your account online; only Financial Aid and Awards will be able to make adjustments to your OSAP account on your behalf. Please notify Financial Aid and Awards as soon as possible after a change has been made.

All changes must be submitted to Financial Aid and Awards in writing bearing your name, student number, and a clear description of the change, including the updated information.

Some changes (e.g. change to marital status) may require supporting documentation. Please contact Financial Aid and Awards to discuss the documents required to make changes to your OSAP account.

Changes can be submitted to Financial Aid and Awards by one of the following methods:

  • Email from your Queen's email account including your name and student number (emails received from non-Queen's email accounts cannot be accepted for this purpose)
  • Personal letter submitted to Financial Aid and Awards either in person or by mail


Any time there is a change in your OSAP account, it can result in a reassessment of your funding and a potential reduction in your OSAP entitlement. 

If, after these changes are made, you are no longer entitled to all the OSAP funding you received, you will have an OSAP overpayment. In other words, an overpayment occurs when a student has received more OSAP than they were entitled to receive.

It is a student's responsibility to contact Financial Aid and Awards when they have made changes in their course load, income, or student status that may impact on their OSAP entitlement.

The Ministry of Colleges and Universities will notify a student each time that their OSAP account is reassessed. It is then the student's responsibility to log onto their OSAP account to review their entitlement. In some cases, an overpayment will impact a student's eligibility for further financial assistance through OSAP. In these situations, the Ministry will send additional information to the student.

Step 1: Contact the NSLSC To Repay

To repay an overpayment you must contact the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) at 1-888-815-4514. An overpayment can be repaid as a lump sum or in installments.

Step 2: Request a Receipt

The Ministry of Colleges and Universities requires confirmation of repayment from the National Student Loans Service Centre (a receipt from your financial institution is not sufficient).

  • Once the overpayment has been repaid in full, you can (a) request a receipt from the NSLSC displaying your name, the amount(s), and date(s) of the payment(s); or (b) print a statement from your NSLSC account displaying your name, the date(s), and amount(s) of the payment(s) made
  • The confirmation of repayment can be mailed, faxed, or scanned/emailed to the Office of the University Registrar (Financial Aid and Awards)