Missing Card?

My Queen’s student, staff or faculty card is lost or stolen

  • Report your missing student, staff or faculty card to the Registrar's Office and Hospitality Services 
  • Report a card theft to Queen’s Campus Security at 613-533-6733  
  • Your Flex $ balance will automatically “lock” when you report a missing card  
  • Obtain a temporary meal card from the Queen’s Hospitality Services office to continue using your meal plan  
  • When you pickup your new student card from the Registrar’s Office, Hospitality Services is notified of the activation, and your temporary card will be deactivated 
  • Return your temporary card to Victoria Hall Rm E022 

*We cannot protect your Flex $ balance if your missing card is not reported. Refunds or losses will not be provided.

I don’t have my student card yet

  • If you have already sent in a photo, visit your Residence Front Desk to get your card
  • If you have not submitted a photo, you will need to do so immediately. You will require a temporary meal card for access to your meal plan  
  • Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm: you can visit the Hospitality Office located in Victoria Hall Room E022 for a temporary meal card to be issued 
  • Evenings and weekends: visit a cashier at the Lazy Scholar in Victoria Hall to pick up single use meal cards 
Oct 2, 2020 10:15 am