International Programs Office

International Programs Office

International Programs Office

site header


Any student who is in good academic standing (i.e., a cumulative GPA of 1.6) may participate in study abroad. Please see the criteria below for further details.

You must be successful in your application for an International Letter of Permission (ILOP), and apply successfully for admission to the host university. Tuition fees are payable directly to that institution.

Additional Criteria and Information
  • An ILOP is required by Faculty of Arts and Science regulations for any undergraduate Arts and Science student studying abroad at another institution.
  • The ILOP serves as a guarantee that you will receive transfer credit for the work completed abroad, provided a final grade equivalent to at least "C" at Queen's is obtained in each course (unless otherwise stated on your ILOP).
  • Applications must include detailed course descriptions for the courses you are planning on taking abroad.
  • There is a non-refundable administrative fee of $60 for each ILOP requested.
  • If you wish to take your 3rd or 4th year of an Honours program away on an ILOP, you must obtain written permission from your department(s) of concentration and the Associate Dean (Studies). You will need to provide a statement, outlining the reasons why you wish to study abroad for your 3rd or 4th year.
  • Students who are studying at the Bader International Study Centre (BISC), or a Queen's departmental study abroad program which offers Queen's credits are NOT required to obtain an ILOP.
  • Students in first year may apply for an ILOP if the average of their mid-year grades is at least 60 per cent and if they have passed a majority of courses. A conditional ILOP would be issued pending receipt of final grades.


1. Find a Program
Decide where and when you would like to study. Search the website of the university you wish to attend and gather specific information about the availability of suitable courses and programs offered.
Once you have found a university of interest, determine the application deadlines and procedures for applying as a visiting student and whether an International Letter of Permission (ILOP) is required. For example, The Canadian Field Studies in Africa program run out of McGill University requires the ILOP along with your application to their study abroad program.

Apply for an ILOP, taking into account the criteria listed above. An International Letter of Permission (ILOP) allows you to study abroad with the assurance that you will be able to transfer your credits back to Queen's. It is required by Faculty of Arts and Science regulations for any undergraduate Arts and Science student studying abroad at another institution.

Download the form (PDF, 159KB) or pick one up at the International Programs Office, B206 Mac-Corry.

Please note that you can now pay for your ILOP online on the Student Forms page of the Faculty of Arts and Science.

It is essential that you apply for an ILOP prior to departure, so that we can approve your study abroad credit.

If requesting replacement or additional courses, a new ILOP application and application fee of $60 must be submitted.

4. Apply to the Host University or Program
  • It is the student's responsibility to apply to the host university for admission.
  • When applying, students who obtain an ILOP should apply as a special or visiting student NOT in a degree program.
  • Application to the host university may in some cases come before applying for an ILOP. Students must determine application deadlines and requirements prior to applying. It is not the responsibility of the International Programs Office to determine this.
  • Tuition is paid to the host university.

Before Departure

Complete the mandatory Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy (OCASP) requirements. Questions about OCASP should be directed to the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC).