International Students

Queen’s students are among the most academically accomplished in the country. They come from across Canada and more than 120 countries worldwide. There are more than 500 international graduate students studying at Queen's. You’ll meet people like yourself – and others who are very different. Your fellow students will be among the most interesting, creative and stimulating individuals you will ever encounter.

Queen’s balances excellence with innovative programs – fostering learning experiences that are enriched by a research-intensive environment. Queen’s challenges students intellectually, and our students rise to the challenge.

Through the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) and other organizations, you will find the support and resources you need at Queen’s to help you settle into life at a new university and in a new country. We invite you to become part of our community, and to share in the Queen’s spirit – a bold, enduring spirit of initiative.

If you are planning to study in Canada for one term (less than 6 months) , you may study under temporary resident status as a visitor. For any period longer than 6 months (two terms), a Study Permit is required. Students from some countries may require a temporary resident visa (entry visa) to be eligible to enter Canada. The temporary resident visa (if required) will automatically be issued as part of a successful Study Permit application. To get a study permit and/or a temporary resident visa (entry visa) you may apply through a Canadian visa office or visa application centre (VAC) outside of Canada or you may be eligible to apply online. The study permit application costs CAN$150 (or the equivalent in local currency), while a temporary resident visa application (if made on its own - without a study permit application) costs CAN$100. These applications can take as little as a few days and as long as 3 months to be processed.

General requirements include:

  • A valid passport;
  • Proof of acceptance from Queen’s University;
  • Proof of adequate funds to cover living expenses for you and any dependents coming to Canada with you. Generally accepted evidence includes personal bank statements and/or letters pledging financial support from family or other sponsors;
  • A medical examination may also be required;
  • Citizens of some countries must provide biometrics (digital photographs and fingerprints).

It is extremely important that you check with the visa office that you are applying to as each office may have additional requirements. Be sure to keep copies of all documents sent to and from the Canadian visa office.

More information on Studying in Canada >

Academic Requirements

Before applying to grad school, it's important for you to see if you have the minimum academic requirements for the graduate program you're interested in. You can find minimum requirements two ways:

  • Explore the Arts and Science grad program pages (scroll down to the "Faculty of Arts and Science" section) for in-depth information about each program, including requirements. You can also see a list of our master's and PhD programs here, or our professional programs here.
  • Look at the School of Graduate Studies' 2017/18 Application Requirements Table for a quick overview of minimum requirements for all grad programs at Queen's.

Not sure what you'd like to study in grad school yet? Check out this page of our website for some guidance.

How to Apply

Visit this page of the SGS website for helpful information about how to apply to grad school. Also see the "Information for International Students" section on this page to learn about English Language Comprehension and Immigration Requirements.

The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) provides welcome and orientation services whenever a student, scholar or staff member arrives. Packages of information about our programs and services as well as those provided by other parts of Queen’s University are included. They also provide assistance to all international students, staff, and faculty coming to Queen's. Their dedicated staff can assist you with obtaining the mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and provide resources for preparing for your time at Queen's as well as information on arrival to Canada, Queen's University, and Kingston.

Queen’s students – in particular, English as a second language (ESL) and international students – now have access to expanded services as they work to develop their language and academic skills.

The Queen’s Learning Commons (QLC) Academic Skills Lab in Stauffer Library is a welcoming and flexible space that can accommodate small group discussions and one-on-one meetings with professional staff and trained peer assistants.

Read Full Story