Family Resources


Advanced study and research is demanding, but graduate school also requires you to juggle a variety of responsibilities and commitments that can create an abundance of logistical challenges to make your studies work. Managing and balancing life in grad school takes planning and support. These pages offer advice and information to help with the balancing act.

Kingston offers many childcare options, including licensed and regulated daycare centres, licensed private home childcare, unlicensed independent caregivers, and before and after school programs.

Some options include:

Queen’s Day Care Centre provides high quality childcare that is responsive to the needs of families within the community of Queen’s University. The Day Care centre seeks to:

  1. Reduce barriers for parents to attend/ work at Queen's University;
  2. Provide care and education for children from birth to 6 years of age;
  3. Supplement and complement parental care and values;
  4. Ensure parental input in the delivery of childcare;
  5. Nurture an appreciation and respect of human diversity;
  6. Promote excellence in the field of childcare;
  7. Advance the field of child care in the community.

Frontenac County Childcare Centre has twelve centres throughout the city. Care is available for infants, toddlers, preschool, kindergarten, and before and after school programs for school-age children.

The City of Kingston provides a list of licensed childcare providers as well as other resources for your childcare needs.

The Centralized Childcare Registry and Information Service for the City of Kingston and County of Frontenac provides information about childcare services available in the community. Through this site, you can create an account and apply for a childcare space.

The Limestone District School Board provides public school services to elementary and secondary-school aged students. The Algonquin and Lakeshore District Catholic School Board provides a faith-based alternative. Private school options range from Montessori schools to Waldorf-inspired programs to specialized programs for special needs students and culture-specific programs.

Queen’s University and the City of Kingston offer a variety of options to keep your family active and entertained.

Some options include:
Queen’s Athletics and Recreation Centre (ARC) offers family memberships, children’s passes, camps, and other programs for children. Call 613-533-2500 for more details.

The Kingston Public Library provides a variety of activities for children. If you wish to borrow books from the public library, you must obtain a library card by showing proof of residence in Kingston.

The City of Kingston offers a range of programming for children as well as activities and programs for families and those geared to youths. To learn more, visit their website or call 613-546-4291.

The Boys and Girls Club of Kingston offers a range of activities for children ages 4 to 18 throughout the year. These include arts, recreation, and technology programs. They may be reached at 613-542-3306.

The YMCA provides a range of activities for children from arts to sports. They may be reached at 613-546-2647.

The Centralized Childcare Registry and Information Service provides information about services available in the community to meet your childcare needs and applications for childcare space.

Ontario Early Years Centres offer free drop-in programs for caregivers and children from birth to 6 years old. Here you can ask for advice from professionals in early childhood development, learn about other family services in the community, and have an opportunity to meet other families with young children.

A Childcare Subsidy is available for families in the City of Kingston or County of Frontenac if they meet eligibility requirements. The subsidy may cover all or part of families’ childcare costs.

The Ban Righ Centre, a place for women to find community and support on campus, offers breastfeeding-friendly spaces to help you get your work done, as well as other resources for parents.

Queen’s University’s Office of Faith and Spiritual Life offers confidential counselling to students regardless of their faith identification (including “none” and “spiritual but not religious”), on a variety of issues. Contact them via email ( or phone (613-533-2186).

The Family Counselling Service of Kingston offers family counselling, as well as counselling for individuals, couples, and youths. They may be reached at 613-549-7850.

Queen's Division of Student Affairs has created a website for students with families that is dedicated to compiling information and on- and off-campus resources for parents and guardians.