The Postdoc Travel Award supports current Queen’s postdoctoral fellows (PDFs) who present their scholarly research at national and international conferences. All PDFs currently holding an appointment at Queen’s and who will be holding their appointment throughout the Travel Award process are eligible to apply. This means that they must be PDFs at Queen’s when submitting receipts and other necessary documentation following conference attendance. Receipts of the award may be announced on the SGSPA’s website.
Deadlines for applications are in April and November.
Upcoming deadline: April 1, 2023.
If conference travel takes place between November 1 and March 31, please submit your application for the November 1 deadline. If travel occurs between April 1 and October 31, please submit for the April 1 deadline. All applications should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. ET
Typical Award Values*
- Short driving distance within Canada: $1000 CAD
- Longer driving distance within Canada & US: $1250 CAD
- Travel to Western Canada & US: $1750
- Overseas travel (award max): $2250
*Award amounts may vary depending on applicants' individual circumstances, the total number of applications received, and the program budget. Each award will not exceed $2250 CAD and, depending on the conference location, will not exceed the amounts listed above.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
- Applicants may only receive Travel Award funding once per every three competitions
- Applicants must be presenting significant scholarly work conducted while a PDF at Queen’s
- One application per competition is allowed (PDF may not apply for funds to multiple conferences)
- Awards may be used toward partial support for travel, accommodation, meals (excluding alcohol) and registration fees
- Annual membership fees are NOT an eligible expense
- Awards will only be approved on the condition that a copy of the invitation or acceptance to present will be forwarded to the Coordinator, Postdoctoral Affairs BEFORE funds are released
- Applications to fund an event that has already been attended will not be accepted
- Awards may only be used towards the event listed in the initial application
- Economic need
- The event’s significance for the PDF’s professional development
- The PDF’s role in the event (e.g. session organizer or chair, presenting multiple papers)
Applicants will be informed of the adjudication results no more than 15 working days after the deadline. Recipients of the award will be reimbursed up to the offered amount after returning from their travels and following the procedure as outlined. Queen's policies on eligible travel expenses can be found here. Please review them carefully.
- Review the eligibility criteria and guidelines above before applying.
- Notify your supervisor that you are applying for this award and ask whether they can provide supplementary funding to support your conference attendance.
- Use the online portal (only open during the month prior to the next deadline) to submit your application. Login with your Queen’s NetID.
- The portal should be intuitive. Input information as applicable. Attach the confirmation that your paper/poster was accepted or paste the confirmation email directly in the appropriate field. If you do not have this yet, leave the field blank and submit the documentation as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information can be saved so that you can return at a later date to complete the form. Please ensure that you submit well before the deadline in order to allow your supervisor to add their letter of support in time.
- Input your supervisor’s email address so that the system can automatically send them instructions on submitting their letter of support. This letter must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. (ET) on April 1 or November 1. It is recommended that you communicate this timeline well in advance.
Questions? Email email@example.com. Download information about the Postdoc Travel Award (427KB). This page is current as of February, 2023. Please check back as the site is updated regularly.