Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are jointly administered by Canada’s three federal granting agencies: the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Each award is valued at $70,000 CAD per year for a period of two years. This highly competitive program distributes 70 fellowships globally per annum. Please be aware that Queen’s implements an internal review of applications with deadlines preceding those of Banting.
Banting fellowships seek to attract and retain top-tier candidates whose leadership potential positions these fellows for success as future research innovators. Full eligibility requirements and application details can be found on Banting’s website.
2023-2024 deadlines and information to be updated soon.
Eligibility window extensions (to a cumulative maximum of three years) may be granted if the applicant had their career interrupted for the following reasons:
- Parental leave
- Health-related family responsibilities
- Mandatory military service
- Disruptions due to war, civil conflicts, and/or natural disasters in the country of residence
- Socioeconomic reasons
Additionally, for health professionals who have engaged in post-degree non-research related clinical training (e.g., residency), the eligibility window can be extended by the duration of this training.
No other exceptions will be allowed. Interruptions used to extend the eligibility window for degree completion must have occurred after the fulfilment of your degree requirements and before the application submission deadline.
Queen’s Internal Procedure
Competition to be announced in early 2023
Queen’s requires that applicants submit a Letter of Intent (LOI) package to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which should contain:
- Vanier-Banting Academic CV of applicant (via Canadian Common CV, see below for instructions)
- 1-page statement of proposed research + maximum 1 page of references/bibliography (developed with supervisor). The research statement need not include its own lay abstract, but please keep in mind that your statement will be read by non-specialists. Please use the Banting guidelines for Research Proposals as a reference.
- 1-page supervisor statement: see the Banting Application Guide for reference
- Applicants planning to stay in the same research environment wherein they completed their PhD must also submit a brief justification letter in accordance with the Banting eligibility requirements
Submit packages in PDF (one file) to Nenagh Hathaway at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we cannot accept late submissions.
Review Timeline for Competition
|TBD||Internal committee (consisting of Associate Deans of Research or delegates) selects candidates to be endorsed.|
|TBD||Applicants are informed of committee decisions.|
|TBD||Selected candidates finalize application packages and submit full materials to the OPDT no later than Date TBD. Please submit the full application package as a single PDF document to email@example.com.|
|TBD||Final review of full applications.|
|TBD||Dean of Queen’s School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs provides institutional letter of endorsement if final application meets all requirements.|
|TBD||Candidate submits final application via ResearchNet and confirms submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Instructions for Vanier-Banting Academic CV
- Follow instructions in the Banting Application Guide to set up a Canadian Common CV account
- To access the Banting CV template after logging in, select “Funding” from the “CV” dropdown menu, then select “Vanier-Banting” as the Funding Source and “Vanier-Banting Academic” as the CT type.
- To save a draft PDF version of your Vanier-Banting Academic CV, which is required for the Queen’s internal selection process, click the “Preview" button. (Note: If you press “Submit”, this will generate a final PDF version of your CV which can be accessed by clicking the “History” tab at the top of the page. This version is acceptable, but not necessary, for internal submission.)
- There may be several places to enter the same information. Choose the most logical section and enter the information only once
Ensure attached documents meet presentation standards