All graduate theses or dissertations MUST conform to the minimum style and form requirements as detailed in the General Forms of Theses (107 KB).
Please print this document for full details. The School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs acknowledges that students write using a variety of word processors and editors. For this reason, SGSPA does not stipulate the use any particular authoring format in the creation of theses and dissertations.
Please note – Queen’s has a new policy on copyright. See full details on "Copyright & your Thesis" on the Library website.
In order to successfully submit your thesis via the E-Thesis submission process, the final version of your thesis MUST be in PDF format and must be named using the following file naming convention: lastname_firstname_middleinitial_finalsubmissionyearmonth_degree.pdf
There are a number of tools available to help you manage your thesis files. Use of these resources is optional:
Microsoft OneDrive for Business (OD4B) is now available to all Queen's students, faculty, and staff. OneDrive for Business is a Queen's chosen solution for file storage and collaboration. It is a secure web-based cloud service (meaning you don't need to download anything onto your personal machine to use it) that can be accessed anytime, anywhere you have a network connection.
Use OD4B to manage and sync your thesis files and also to share them with the members of your Thesis Examining Committee (see below)
To access OD4B visit: Log in and Activate your OneDrive for Business Account.
- 5 terabyte per person - storage capacity
- Easy permissions management for file sharing
- Ability for multiple people to collaborate on the same document at the same time
- Use OD4B to share files with your thesis examining committee, both Queen's and non-Queen's users
- Ability to synchronize your files across multiple devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, phones)
- Student Academic Success Services (SASS)
SASS can assist students with the final planning and writing stages of their dissertations and theses, either in individual appointments or through writing and study groups.
- How to Cite Sources
Queen's University Library offers citation and style guides.
- Guidelines for AI use in Graduate Research
- Thesis Template from the SGSPA (resource is to be used as an example of how your thesis should be organized)