International Programs Office

International Programs Office

International Programs Office

site header

Independent Study Abroad

Independent study abroad allows you the opportunity to study at international universities with which Queen's does not have a formal exchange agreement, and on programs offered overseas by Canadian universities. The major difference is that a student who takes the independent study abroad route applies as a visiting student to the university and pays the relevant student fees to the host university.
Examples of study abroad programs include: 

  • the Canadian Field Studies in Africa program managed by McGill University, or
  • the Trent-in-Ecuador or Trent-in-Ghana programs managed by Trent University

See more study abroad programs

To participate in a study abroad program, or study at a university abroad which does not have a partnership agreement with Queen’s, you will require an International Letter of Permission from the IPO.

We also use the ILOP to enable transfer credit on several non-exchange programs facilitated by the IPO:

  • Semester in Shanghai
  • KGU Cross-Cultural College
  • OUI Summer Programs
  • Matariki Indigenous Student Mobility Program (if transfer credit is requested)

Learn more about eligibility and the application process