It is the responsibility of the importing department to determine whether an import permit is required. If the goods that are being imported require an Import Permit, you must obtain the permit prior to importation.

The permit must be in the hands of the shipper prior to the goods being shipped to the University. Failure to have proper authorization prior to import may result in the seizure and confiscation of materials by the governing agencies. Goods requiring an Import Permit will not be allowed into Canada unless accompanied by the permit. There are no exceptions. Regulated goods arriving at the border without a valid permit will be detained until such time that a valid permit is presented to Canada Border Services Agency.

Failure to produce a permit will result in the goods either perishing or returning to the supplier. The cost of the return shipment will be borne to the importer.

To receive shipments of dangerous goods as defined under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods legislation, you must have TDG certification issued by Queen's within the last two years. TDG training.

If You will be importing biological material (including infectious organisms, tissues known to contain infectious organisms or plants) or other material that might contain organisms potentially harmful to Canada (e.g. soil, bird feathers), contact Queen's University Biosafety Officer.

Queen's has a Public Health Agency(PHAC) of Canada Risk Group 2 Human Pathogens and Toxins Licence and a Canada Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Risk 2 Terrestrial Animal Pathogens Permit. Before you use it to import anything read all conditions on that document (which you can obtain from the Biosafety Officer) and ensure that you comply.

Note the following particularly import conditions of the PHAC/CFIA Licence:

A person who intends to import, export, transfer or receive a human pathogen or toxin must communicate that intention to the biological safety officer before they make any arrangements for the transaction.

The imported material may be transferred or moved to another location which complies with the Canadian Biosafety Standards requirements associated with the risk group and/or containment level of the material transferred. However, the Biosafety Officer must be informed because there are regulatory conditions and paperwork to be completed. This should not take more than a few days.

The Licence does not cover a long list of pathogens regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency: The importation of foreign animal diseases, emerging animal diseases, aquatic animal pathogens, plant pests, bee pathogens and any live animal, animal product and by-product infected by an animal pathogen are regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

If the Licence does not cover what you wish to import then contact the appropriate agency listed below, and the Biosafety Officer or the Office of the University Veterinarian as appropriate. Each web site contains information regarding permits as well as Import Permit Application forms that can be downloaded. Import Permits may take 2-4 weeks to process.


Health Canada
Tel: 613 957 1779
Fax: 613 941 0596
Health Canada biosafety pathogen webpage

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Tel: 613 442 2342
Fax: 613 228 6129
Canadian Food Inspection Agency website

Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
Tel: 800 668 6767
Fax: 819 953 6283

Canada Border Service Agency
Tel: 800 461 9999