Student Wellness Services

Student Wellness Services

site header

Health Insurance

Provincial Health Insurance Plans

Students who are permanent residents of Ontario will have provincial health insurance coverage called Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

Students from other provinces are usually covered under their own provincial plans, but be aware that regulations vary from province to province.

If you are an out-of-province student, be sure you are aware of the coverage you will have while in Ontario.

Some provinces require students attending out of province universities to submit a letter of acceptance to the university, as well as proof of registration for the current year, in order to received continued health insurance coverage. There may also be a difference in terms of the services covered by the various provincial health insurance plans.

Students who are not covered under provincial health insurance plans, including international students, exchange students, and returning Canadians in their three-month waiting period for OHIP, are required to have UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) coverage.

Health Insurance - International Students (effective September 2019)

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), is a primary health plan that provides coverage for most physician services at clinics and hospitals in Ontario and for both emergency and routine needs.

With registration at the university, all international students are automatically enrolled in UHIP.  On SOLUS, UHIP will be titled International Health Care and may reflect $212 per term or $636 annually.    

Students enrolled in UHIP will receive email messaging in advance of studies titled: UHIP-Action Required.  This email grants access to the UHIP portal where the proof of coverage card can be printed and dependents can be added to coverage.  The UHIP card should be printed and kept accessible as it must be presented for each clinic or hospital visit to minimize costs to the student.

Additionally, the UHIP Portal is accessible from the website of the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC).  The QUIC office can also provide guidance, information and resources to address student health concerns.

Returning Canadians or new permanent residents are eligible to enroll in 3 months of UHIP (during the OHIP waiting period only) by email request to for the single fee of  $159 total (CAD).

To learn more about the Ontario Health Insurance Plan including who qualifies, how to apply, and the Registration form, see: OHIP

Services Not Covered by OHIP or UHIP

If you need documents for the following, these services are considered a "third-party request" and are not covered by OHIP or UHIP:

  • employment
  • government legislation
  • health club, association or camp
  • insurance
  • license
  • university admission

See Price List for Uninsured Services for associated costs

Supplementary Health Insurance

In addition to provincial health insurance plans and UHIP, Queen`s students also have a supplementary health insurance plan that provides at least partial coverage for services such as vision care, dental care and prescription medications that are not covered by OHIP or UHIP.  The supplementary health insurance plans are administered by your student associations.

To learn more about your supplementary health coverage please contact:

Opting Out of the AMS Health & Dental Plan

If you have proof of coverage under another plan (not including basic provincial health care or UHIP), you can opt-out of the AMS Health & Dental Plan and have the fee removed from your fee assessment. You can only opt out during the Change-of-Coverage Period in September. Please refer directly to the AMS website for all details.