Student Wellness Services offers booked physician and nursing appointments. We provide most services that are offered at a typical walk-in clinic. We commonly see students for the following:
If you currently receive allergy shots and would like to continue receiving these through Student Wellness Services, please book a medical appointment as soon as possible. A physician appointment will be needed prior to your initial allergy shot
- After an initial visit with a physician (needed each school year), students can book allergy injections with a nurse
- Be prepared to remain in the waiting room for thirty minutes after your shot so you can be checked for an adverse reaction
- We strongly recommend that all students receiving allergy injections carry an EpiPen with them on that day
- Acne Treatment
- Wart Treatment
- Mole Removal
Students can see our healthcare providers for illnesses and injuries such as:
- Respiratory illnesses and infections
- Infections (urinary, vaginal, etc.)
- Joint and muscle aches and pains
- Assessment and monitoring of other new or ongoing health issues
Medical notes can be written for illnesses and injuries impacting academics at the discretion of the healthcare provider. Notes cannot be written for a past illness. Permission to be excused from classes and exams rests solely with the faculty or department. There may be a cost associated with receiving medical notes.
Find additional information about what to do if you’re unwell and it’s impacting your academics.
- Publicly funded immunizations that do not require a prescription from a physician include:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Influenza (flu)
- Vaccines that may require a prescription from a physician include:
- HPV (Gardasil)
- Hepatitis A
- Twinrix (combined Hepatitis A & B)
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Hepatitis B
- Completion of immunization forms required for academic programs including antibody titres
- Prescribed injections such as:
- Vitamin B12
- Depo-Provera (birth control)
- Hormone (testosterone)
- Allergy injections
- Depression/Anxiety Management
- Medication Management
- Please see our Mental Health services page to learn more.
- Birth Control (including IUD insertion)
- PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis)
- Testing & treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and HIV
We offer select specialist appointments that are only available to students through referrals from an SWS staff member. At Student Wellness Services, we offer:
- Psychiatry: offers consultation for complex mental health presentations
- Occupational Therapy: work with students who are experiencing challenges participating fully in academic and extracurricular activities due to injury, illness, disability, and/or extenuating circumstances. Sessions focus on building skills and navigating environmental barriers to enable students to participate in their academics as well as other meaningful activities.
- Dietitian: supports students experiencing an eating disorder, disordered eating, or students needing support due to a recent medical diagnosis that impacts their eating behaviours (e.g. Celiac disease)
Staff may also refer students to specialists outside of SWS. If you are referred to a specialist, here is some important information to know:
- Wait Times:
- Average wait times for a specialist appointment in Kingston is 2–5 months, with some as long as 8–12 months
- It can take several months just to receive your appointment date/time
- Due to long wait times, you may be asked if you are willing to travel to get a quicker appointment
- It is usually a good idea to be referred to a specialist in your hometown since you will need to travel back to that city for any follow-up appointments
The physician will write a referral stating the specialty and the city where you wish to be seen
It is important that your address and phone number are correct in your electronic medical record, it is how the specialist's office will reach you. If you have a change of address or phone number after you have been referred, but before your appointment time has arrived, please contact our referral support team.
Appointment notices might be mailed, or you may receive a telephone call or email from the specialist’s office or Student Wellness Services.
Tuberculosis (TB) Testing
- There is no charge for students requiring TB testing or forms for Queen’s University mandated professional programs such as medicine, nursing, etc.
- There is a fee for non-mandated TB tests, e.g. for volunteering or for third party requests. Please see price list for uninsured services
Bloodwork ordered by a physician
Testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and HIV for students who do not have any symptoms
Diagnostic Test Results
Tests take anywhere from two days to several weeks to be reported. Students are welcome to make an appointment to follow-up on their results. We generally do not call students to report negative test results.
- When test results arrive, they are reviewed by the physician who ordered the test; nursing staff may contact patients only if advised to do so by the ordering physician
- Due to the high volume of students seen, students will only be contacted with test results when necessary
- A follow-up plan should be discussed during your appointment as test results are only one part of managing your care. Please book a follow-up appointment to discuss your test results if needed
Gender-affirming medical care, including hormone therapy and surgery assessments.
Our Triage Team will meet with students who are unsure if they need a mental or physical health assessment. They will work with you to determine your needs and can help with minor issues, answering inquiries, and system navigation.
- Prenatal care from a family doctor until patients need to see an OB-GYN
- Termination of Pregnancy: our clinic does not prescribe abortion pills but may refer patients to the Lakeside Clinic if an abortion is wanted. Self-referral to the clinic is also available.
Please call us at 613-533-2506 if you have questions about our services.