The Custodial Support Services team is responsible for maintaining sanitary conditions of approximately 4.9 million square feet of interior spaces on Main Campus, West Campus, and leased off-site facilities. Our team provides daily service Monday through Friday and priority service on weekends.
Regular Custodial Services duties include:
- Emptying and cleaning centralized waste receptacles
- Cleaning touch points (light switches, door hardware)
- Dusting (as required)
- Cleaning mirrors and interior glass
- Dust mopping / vacuuming floors
- Damp mopping floors
- Cleaning and disinfecting washrooms
- Disinfecting table tops in classrooms
- Interior re-lamping
Custodial Support Services has adopted a range of new environmentally-friendly cleaning products and practices. As the novel coronavirus began spreading in Canada, the team used their newly adopted methods to raise standards of cleanliness across campus, helping to keep the community safe.
This exceptional work has been recognized with a Cleaning Industry Management Standards – Green Buildings certification with Honours, which is granted by the International Sanitary Supply Association (ISSA Canada) to organizations that deliver a comprehensive green cleaning program based on standards set by Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). Queen’s was granted Honours when ISSA found that the university exceeded the necessary requirements for the certification.Full details
Custodial Service Requests
Call 613.533.6363 for all general inquiries and reporting procedures.
Custodial Service Requests cover items like supply requests (e.g., paper towels), urgent clean-ups (spills) and event support.
If your request requires an immediate response, please call:
- Client Services (613.533.6000 ext. 77301, 613.533.6757) during normal daytime hours
- Emergency Response Centre (613.533.6000 ext.36080, 613.533.6080) after hours.
Custodial Support Services staff members are on site 24/7 and can be dispatched immediately.
For event support and general inquiries, please contact the Custodial Support Services team.Submit a Request
Cleaning priorities fall into four levels. Our custodians follow these priorities as listed below in the time allowed before moving to the next priority.
Level l - Areas of Liability and Safety Concerns (Floods, Spills, Bio-risk events etc.)
- Note: Our specialists maintain all entrances within academic buildings.
Level 2 - Public and Student Use Areas
- Generally these are areas which are used by the general public and or affect the learning process at Queen's such as Entrances, Corridors, Stairwells, Washrooms, and Classrooms
Level 3 - General and Departmental Areas (General Offices, Research Labs)
Level 4 - Work areas and Individual Occupancies (Offices, Meeting Rooms, Workshops, etc.)
For more information on area types and frequencies, please review our Custodial Care Program Overview (PDF 478 KB).