General Accounting is responsible for administering and coordinating the processes to account for the transactions of the University. This includes all matters regarding banking and deposits, GST/HST, processing of travel and expense reimbursements and cash advances, acceptance of card payments and related processing, processing of non-payroll payments, and journal entry distributions. This unit is also responsible for the monitoring of Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable balances, collection of overdue student receivables, and the administration of the Expense Reimbursement System. General Accounting is a key liaison to the community on process or transactional issues. They manage month-end and year-end close processes, providing timely communication to the community on the status of the closure of the books.
The main areas of responsibility for General Accounting include:
- Accounts Receivable
- Collection of overdue student receivables
- Credit Card Merchant Accounts and related PCI DSS Compliance
- HST Enquiries
- Month-End and Year-End Procedures
- Administration of the Expense Reimbursement System (ERS)
- Travel and Expense Reimbursements
- Travel Advances
- Payment Processing (for all non-payroll payments not processed on P-Card)
email@example.com (Overdue Student Fees, Collection Services)
firstname.lastname@example.org (PCI Coordinator, PCI DSS Compliance)
email@example.com (Payment notifications)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Expense Reimbursement Processing)
Guidance Regarding Payments:
- All payment requests, including Employee Reimbursements and Travel Expense claims, will be processed within 15 business days of the receipt of the documentation in the Financial Services office
- Rush payment requests are subject to a fee of $200.
- Vendor payment terms vary by vendor based on payment method selected. Further details can be found under the "Payment Terms" subheading on the Accounts Payable webpage.
- Information on Paycycles.
- Wire transfer payments are processed once a week, on Wednesdays. Wire transfer requests must be received by 4:00 PM on Monday to be processed on Wednesday.
- Any items being paid by Electronic Funds Transfer will require an additional 2-3 business days for the bank(s) to process the transfer.