The University Secretariat, along with the members of the Policy Advisory Subcommittee (PASC) look forward to working with policy developers and stakeholders to create and modify policies that will ensure the best results for the Queen's community. A number of tools have been developed to assist individuals writing and/or reviewing policy. The Secretariat is always interested in helping those engaged in these tasks. Please contact our office via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to work with you.
Policy Development and Approval - Process
Developing a policy takes time and there are certain elements which must be included and steps to be followed.
Steps to follow:
- This policy development flow chart (PDF document) outlines the steps you should follow as you develop your policy. Note that while it may not be necessary to complete all aspects of this outline, the more comprehensive your review and consultation is, the better.
- Policy developers should also review the Consultation Guidelines for Policy Development (PDF document), which provides advice on how to engage in a meaningful way with the Queen's community. Consultation with relevant stakeholders should take place before drafting or revising your policy, and the details of this process will be required as part of the documentation submitted to PASC.
Once you have completed the development process, you can start to seek approval.
Steps to follow:
- This policy approval flow chart (PDF document) outlines the stages of approval required, depending on the nature of your policy. If you are not certain what is required for your policy/procedure, please consult with the Secretariat.
The following documents may be required as part of your policy submission:
- PASC Coversheet Template - Required for all new and revised policies being submitted to PASC for review. Use this form to outline the rationale for the policy and how it will fulfill various requirements. This must be signed by the Senior Administrative Officer responsible for the policy/procedure.
- PASC Consultation Plan Template - Required for all new and revised policies being submitted to PASC for review. Use this form to detail which community stakeholders you consulted with, whether you engaged with Subject Matter Experts, and how various units or individuals affected by this policy/procedure. This must be signed by a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- PASC Policy Template - Required for all new and revised policies being submitted to PASC for review. Use of this template ensures consistency for all users of Queen's policies. As old policies are revised, please bring them up to date using this format.
- PASC Equity Impact Assessment Template - Required for all new and revised policies being submitted to PASC for review. Use this form to identify potential elements of systemic/institutional inequity against equity deserving groups within the policy along with mitigation strategies.
- PASC Procedure Template - Optional and to be used if your policy requires specific procedures to be followed. Not all policies will require a procedures document, while others may require more than one.
- PASC Guideline Template - Optional and to be used if you wish to provide guidance to users of your policy. Not all policies will require guidelines.
*PDF files can be viewed using Adobe Reader.