Category: Human Resources
Approval: Vice-Principals' Operations Committee
Responsibility: Associate Vice-Principal of Human Resources
Date: January 12, 2015; Policy review process began in 2021
Purpose/Reason for Policy:
This Policy and its related procedures and guidelines set standards for ensuring compliance with the University's Duty to Accommodate Disability.
Scope of this Policy:
This Policy applies to all University employees, and any applicants for employment who require an Accommodation Measure due to Disability.
The University is committed to meetings its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act by providing a workplace that ensures full inclusion and participation of staff, faculty and job applicants with disabilities.
Employee/Applicant Requiring an Accommodation Measure
- notify the appropriate officer of the University regarding the need for an Accommodation Measure
- identify any known accommodation needs and cooperate with reasonable requests for evidence establishing accommodation needs
- cooperate with the University in the accommodation process
Officers of the University
- Accept requests for accommodation in good faith
- Deal with accommodation requests as quickly as possible
- Identify the Bona Fide Occupational Requirements of the position
- Manage the accommodation process by encouraging co-operation, dialogue, consideration of all options, monitoring and evaluation of employment accommodation solutions
- Keep a written record of the accommodation request and action taken
- Maintain confidentiality, and ensure that the institution responds to any requests for information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation (PIPEDA, PHIPA and FIPPA).
- Ultimately, the Duty to Accommodate Disability is an institutional obligation as the University is the employer. Accordingly, any department/unit is obligated to facilitate an Accommodation Measure and has a duty to cooperate in that regard. The onus is on the employer to establish that it has fulfilled the Duty to Accommodate.
Human Resources Department - Return to Work & Accommodation Department
- Provide advice, guidelines, and resources related to policy interpretation and procedures for employment accommodation to faculty, staff and supervisors
- Ensure the policy is interpreted and applied to promote the University's commitment in building an inclusive community
- Ensure employment and accommodation information is available and processes established to enhance accessibility for faculty, staff and job applicants
- Assist with disability management including establishing employment Accommodation Measures for employees with Disabilities and facilitating return to work
- Request Substantiated Medical Documentation as appropriate to support the request
- Maintain confidentiality as required under this policy and ensure that accommodation requests are managed in a manner that is consistent with privacy legislation PIPEDA, PHIPA and FIPPA.
- Develop Return to Work and Accommodation Plans as outlined in the Return to Work Procedure and Individualized Disability Accommodation Procedure documents.
- Determine an employee's entitlement to participate in the Accommodation Program
- Consult with other departments as required
- Facilitate any Accommodation Measures that require agreements outside of the respective collective agreement
- Participate in the development of Accommodation Measures for members and work with the employer and other members to address existing barriers
- Facilitate job placement for individuals participating in the Accommodation Program
Contact Officer:Sydney Downey, Manager, RTW & Accommodation
Date for Next Review: January, 2020
Related Policies, Procedures and Guidelines: