Students with disabilities sometimes require written confirmation that they are, or have been, accommodated at Queen’s University. Admission examiners, licensing bodies, or other educational institutions may require this verification as part of their accommodation process.
Students currently, or previously, registered and accommodated by QSAS can request a Verification of Accommodation Letter which confirms:
- You were identified with a disability at Queen’s University
- The university accommodated you in accordance with legislative and university policy requirements
- The start and end time (if applicable) of your registration with QSAS
- The most recent accommodations for which you were approved
A sample Verification of Accommodation Letter can be viewed here.
- QSAS will process requests received between November 1 and July 31 within 7 business days
- Requests received between August 1 and October 31 will be processed within 10 business days
You can request a Verification of Accommodation letter by emailing the QSAS Intake Coordinator. QSAS will send you a completed and signed Verification of Accommodation Letter but cannot send letters to third parties on your behalf.
Verification of Accommodation vs Disability Documentation
A Verification of Accommodation Letter issued by QSAS is NOT a medical or disability document. It does not specify your medical diagnosis or your disability category, nor does it contain any information about your disability-related functional limitations for which you were accommodated.
- Students who need medical or other documentation verifying their disability should speak with their health care provider
- You can request a copy of your medical or other disability documentation on file at QSAS by emailing the QSAS Intake Coordinator. At least 7 business days’ notice is required when requesting copies of documentation on file at QSAS. QSAS will send requested copies directly to you in a secure fashion. QSAS cannot send medical or disability documentation to third parties on your behalf
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
QSAS can complete the Certification of Eligibility (COE) form required for accommodations on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) only if the documentation on file at QSAS meets documentation requirements set out by the Educational Testing Service. You are encouraged to carefully review these requirements before contacting QSAS to complete the COE. If QSAS cannot complete the COE, you should contact the Educational Testing Service directly and follow up with their health care provider as needed.