Orientation & Enrolment

Students exploring the gardens

Summer OrientationBefore you leave...

The first stage of orientation for Bader College takes place on Kingston main campus. Summer Orientation to Academics and Resources (SOAR) is an on-campus summer orientation program for incoming first-year students and their parents and supporters, run by the Student Experience Office. SOAR aims to help prepare students for new academic expectations, address questions or concerns about university life, and introduce resources and support services for all incoming students.

For more information about SOAR, including the dates and links to register, visit the Student Experience Office website.

Orientation is structured to be a time for incoming students to build several relationships that will lead to a students’ short and long-term success at Bader College. The events are scheduled in a way that will allow students to meet the people who will be a part of their professional, academic, and personal lives not just for the next four or eight months, but for the duration of your academic endeavors and beyond. Orientation will be the beginning of building a community and support network who can help students process learning, overcome struggle, celebrate success, and grow themselves as person while they also grow their minds.

OrientationStudents will be expected to attend all orientation activities if they can. You do not need to register for Orientation at Bader College and you will be given an itinerary upon arrival.

Additionally, students will have community meetings with a smaller subset of the student population who live in the same or nearby corridors. Each corridor community is supported by a full time student services staff member called a Student Life Coordinator (SLC) with frequent meetings, discussions, and activities facilitated by the SLC.

More on the Student Services Team 

Registering with the UK Police

You only need to register with the police in the UK if there is a clear requirement to do so on either:

  • Your entry clearance visa (in your passport)

  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

  • Your Home Office Letter (Your decision letter, or the letter accompanying your BRP)

If there is no requirement to register with the police on any of these documents, then you do not need to. Please check the documentation above, because not registering with the police, if you are required to do so, is a criminal offence and you may be reported to the Home Office for failure to comply with the conditions of your leave to enter/remain in the United Kingdom.


UKVI rules state that a student sponsor must keep copies of all immigration documents for the students they sponsor. As part of the orientation process, you will be required to submit your passport including the 30 day travel vignette for copying.

If you apply for a new passport at any point during your studies, you must submit the new passport for copying.

Biometric Residence Permit

The vignette in your passport is valid for 90 days only from the date you wish to enter the UK. On arrival at Bader College you will be notified of a date and time (within 10 days of arrival) to collect your full visa, called a Biometric Residence Permit (identity card).

Have you enrolled in the Con-Ed Program?


The Con-Ed program at Bader College involves you spending time in a local school from the first week of term. In order to make this happen it is essential you do two things now:

  1. If you are over 18 -  A Police check that involves a vulnerable sector check. If you are under 18 - A character reference that states how long the person has known you, and in what capacity, that confirms that you are a suitable person to work with minors. Examples of suitable referees include, your high school tutor, a religious official, or your sports' coach. 
  2. A Letter of Accommodation

Police Checks

In order to enter a UK school, you must have proof of a vulnerable sector screening police check. Now you have been offered your place you need to apply for a police check from your home area as soon as possible (i.e. the area where you live now). Please note procedures vary in different jurisdictions and cannot typically cannot be done online. In order to allow time for processing you must start the process now. You are required to present the screening document when you arrive at Bader College.

Letter of Accommodation

If you require accommodations relating to a physical, mental or learning disability, you need to register with Queen's Student Accessibility Services (QSAS) on main campus. Because we want to ensure you are able to take full advantage of your placement, it is important that we have this information as soon possible. Please register on the QSAS website now and submit the requested documents. Do not wait until you have selected your courses to start the process. Accommodations can only be granted through a Queen's Letter of Accommodation. Documentation from high schools, doctors etc. cannot be used in place of a Queen's Letter of Accommodation.