Where to apply

Determine where you can apply for the work permit

Citizenship and Immigration offers the following options, described under "Determine your eligibility - Work in Canada".

Apply at Point of Entry

Incoming Queen's faculty appointees can apply at a Point of Entry (PoE)* to Canada if they fulfill all three requirements noted below:
* PoE can be an airport or land border crossing

  • you are a citizen of a country that is Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) exempt (if you are TRV exempt, you will need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization)
  • you have a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Queen's or don't need a Labour Market Impact Assessment because you are a CRC or CERC or Post-Doctoral Fellow, or are applying under NAFTA or the Canada Chile trade agreement.
  • you do not require a medical

NOTE: Please read the section on who requires immigration medicals

If you have determined that you are eligible to apply at the border immigration office and you plan to obtain the work permit at the border upon entry into Canada, do not also apply via the online or mail-in process. Once you have applied via the online process, you must wait for a decision from IRCC in your home country. 

Online Application via a Canadian Visa Post

Faculty appointees must apply through the online application process to a Canadian Visa Post outside of Canada if any of the points below apply:

If one or both of the above applies to you, you must apply from your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least a year.

To determine if you are able to apply online, please refer to the CIC website for application details.