Health Care

Health insurance and care for your family

Doctor measuring a child's heart beat.

The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) provides residents of Ontario with free basic health care services (generally excluding dental services) that are medically necessary. Services covered include visits to a family doctor, specialists, and hospital stays.

To obtain a health card for the first time, apply in person at Service Ontario, 1201 Division Street (Kingslake Plaza). Children do not need to be present to apply. Click here for Application forms and documentation you need to bring.

Questions? Contact the Ministry's INFOline at 1-800-268-1154 TTY 1-800-387-5559 from 8:30am - 5:00pm.

Newcomers to Canada

Queen's coverage through UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan)

Prior to the pandemic, newcomers to Canada were required to wait three months before the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage started. **At present, there is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage.

Should there be any exceptional circumstances regarding your eligiblity, you and your dependants can sign up for interim coverage with the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). Follow the link for enrolment information, forms and fees, and where to go to enrol. You will need to make an appointment to visit the Human Resources department to finalize your UHIP enrollment. This must be done within 30 days of your arrival in Kingston, or a $500 fine will apply. There is a cost to the UHIP coverage.

Former residents of Ontario returning after a long-term absence

If you are a former resident of Ontario and you have been out of the Province for a long period of time, you may also have to wait for three months under certain circumstances - contact the Ministry's information line at 1-800-268-1154 TTY 1-800-387-5559 from 8:30am - 5:00pm for details on your specific case or check the information on the OHIP web site.

During the waiting period, you can be covered under the UHIP plan, please see above for details on how to apply through the Department of Human Resources.

Moving to Ontario from another part of Canada?

If you have a valid health card from your former province's or territory's health insurance, you will be covered under it for up to three months until you can obtain coverage from OHIP. As soon as possible after your move to Ontario, apply for an OHIP card. Please see the top of this page for instructions on how to apply. If you need medical services while you are waiting for your OHIP card to be processed, bring your health insurance card from your former province. In some cases, you may have to pay for the service and claim reimbursement from your former Province of residence.

Supplementary health benefits

Queen's Human Resources Department web site provides extensive information on supplementary health and dental coverage available to university employees.

Accessing health services for your family

Doctor checking a child's ear canal.

Health Care Connect is a phone service which will help you find a family doctor who is accepting new patients. You need a valid OHIP card to use the service. If you are looking for a family physician accepting new patients and are covered by UHIP, please contact the Faculty Recruitment and Support Program.

Kingston offers several walk-in clinics to take care of urgent, minor, non-life threatening medical problems. You can also get your prescription renewed at a walk-in clinic. Please follow the link for locations and hours. No appointment is necessary, and fees are covered if you are covered under OHIP or UHIP. If covered under UHIP, you may have to pay cash for the service and then claim reimbursement from UHIP.

New to Canada? Need to know more about how the health system works?

This comprehensive guide on Canada's health system will help you navigate the health system.