International Students

Queen’s students are among the most academically accomplished in the country. They come from across Canada and more than 120 countries worldwide. As one of the 1,300 international students that make up about 7% of the full-time student population studying at Queen's each year, you’ll meet people like yourself – and others who are very different. Your fellow students will be among the most interesting, creative and stimulating individuals you will ever encounter.

Whether you’re enrolled in a degree program, an exchange program within a degree program, or English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) program, Queen’s balances excellence with innovation, fostering learning experiences that are enriched by a research-intensive environment. Queen’s challenges students intellectually, and our students rise to the challenge.

Excellence is pursued not just in the classroom or laboratory, but in our sports teams, student government, and myriad clubs and societies. And through the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) and other organizations, you will find the support and resources you need at Queen’s to help you settle into life at a new university and in a new country. We invite you to become part of our community, and to share in the Queen’s spirit – a bold, enduring spirit of initiative.

Queen's attracts a community of outstanding student scholars from across the globe. There are a variety of financial aid programs available to assist International and U.S. students studying at Queen's. 


If you are planning to study in Canada for one term (less than 6 months) , you may study under temporary resident status as a visitor. For any period longer than 6 months (two terms), a Study Permit is required. Students from some countries may require a temporary resident visa (entry visa) to be eligible to enter Canada. The temporary resident visa (if required) will automatically be issued as part of a successful Study Permit application. To get a study permit and/or a temporary resident visa (entry visa) you may apply through a Canadian visa office or visa application centre (VAC) outside of Canada or you may be eligible to apply online. The study permit application costs CAN$150 (or the equivalent in local currency), while a temporary resident visa application (if made on its own - without a study permit application) costs CAN$100. These applications can take as little as a few days and as long as 3 months to be processed.

General requirements include:

  • A valid passport;
  • Proof of acceptance from Queen’s University;
  • Proof of adequate funds to cover living expenses for you and any dependents coming to Canada with you. Generally accepted evidence includes personal bank statements and/or letters pledging financial support from family or other sponsors;
  • A medical examination may also be required;
  • Citizens of some countries must provide biometrics (digital photographs and fingerprints).

It is extremely important that you check with the visa office that you are applying to as each office may have additional requirements. Be sure to keep copies of all documents sent to and from the Canadian visa office.

More information on Studying in Canada >


Academic Requirements:

Visit this section of the Undergraduate Admissions website to figure out what the academic requirements are for the program(s) you are interested in.

English Language Requirements:

Learn about English language requirements and the Test of Facility in English here.

How to Apply:

Visit this section of the Undergraduate Admissions website to about how to apply.

Apply: Go to the OUAC website and look for the "OUAC 105" category, which handles out-of-province and out-of country applicants. The Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) processes all undergraduate and professional applications to the province’s universities.


The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) provides welcome and orientation services whenever a student, scholar or staff member arrives. Packages of information about our programs and services as well as those provided by other parts of Queen’s University are included. They also provide assistance to all international students, staff, and faculty coming to Queen's. Their dedicated staff can assist you with obtaining the mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and provide resources for preparing for your time at Queen's as well as information on arrival to Canada, Queen's University, and Kingston.


QBridge is a university preparation program for students who have received a conditional offer of acceptance to an undergraduate program at Queen's University.

QBridge is designed to provide you with academic English language training prior to studies at Queen's. From the end of June until August, you will participate in an intensive English language program at Queen's School of English (QSoE), completing the program in time to enrol in full-time degree studies in September.

This program helps to build the skills necessary for academic success and helps you gain an understanding of the expectations for study at Queen's University. This student-centered immersion program integrates the four language skills, reading, writing, listening and speaking, at an academic level. It is more academically challenging and rigorous than standard lecture and test format courses and more in keeping with a communicative classroom style. Students are expected to communicate their ideas orally, and to analyze and critique the ideas of others, as they fine tune their academic English skills.

Successful students will demonstrate a high level of academic ability while engaging in English study, attending and listening to lectures, writing essays, and participating in presentations, seminars and debates.


Queen’s students – in particular, English as a second language (ESL) and international students – now have access to expanded services as they work to develop their language and academic skills.

The Queen’s Learning Commons (QLC) Academic Skills Lab in Stauffer Library is a welcoming and flexible space that can accommodate small group discussions and one-on-one meetings with professional staff and trained peer assistants.

Read Full Story


Get to know Tongji-Queen’s 2+2

Society is increasingly aware of the immense environmental challenges the world faces. Solutions are complex and no environmental issue exists in isolation from the community. To work in environmental fields, students require insights on the causes and scope of environmental problems, as well as expertise in planning, policy and other collaborative problemsolving within our interconnected world.

Tongji and Queen’s want our students to gain a global perspective, international understanding, and cross-cultural proficiency. Queen’s has undergraduate students from over 120 different countries, with over 1300 comprising the international student population. The Environmental Science program at Queen’s also offers experiential learning opportunities that will allow students to also gain practical skills in the field. Students can also gain valuable experience through participation in extracurricular activities. There are over 200 clubs and societies to choose from, such as the Society for Conservation Biology or speaker series focused on climate change and energy issues.

Admission to Queen's from Tongji

Prospective students who have been nominated by Tongji University and approved by the Queen’s School of Environmental Studies will apply for admission to Queen’s University using an online application form. Requirements for admission to Queen’s include a minimum
cumulative GPA of 2.6, based on the first two years of the Environmental Science or Environmental Science and Engineering program at Tongji; and achieving English language proficiency of 6.5 in the IELTS Assessment (or equivalent), as demonstrated by provision of the test certificate. Students presenting a score of 6.0 are eligible to complete the QBridge
program in lieu of achieveing a score of 6.5 in the IELTS Assessment.

Queen’s Admissions

Many of our courses focus on key environmental problems and ways to address them. These include Environmental Toxicology and Chemical Risks, and Environment and Sustainability. Current issues are discussed in courses like Marine Environmental Issues, Wildlife Issues in a Changing World, and Global Water Issues. Courses in Environmental Assessment or Environmental Policy provide students the opportunity to use case studies and real-world examples to examine the methods and processes that are followed in  environmental policy-making.

For more information, please check out our Major Map.