Students who have completed 24 units or more must participate in the Program/Plan selection process in May. This involves choosing the area of study (plan) that you wish to pursue. For some students this may involve requesting to change your degree program. For example, students may request a change of degree program from:
- Bachelor of Arts Honours (BAH) to Bachelor of Science Honours (BSCH) or Bachelor of Computing Honours (BCMPH)
- BCMPH to BAH or BSCH
- BSCH to BAH or BCMPH
NOTE: Students who were admitted to the following programs do not participate in plan selection: Bachelor of Fine Art, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Physical and Health Education; or Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology.
For more information on degree programs offered in Arts and Science, please visit the Academic Calendar.
To request your Program/Plan, log into your Student Centre in SOLUS. Program/Plan Selection is NOT first-come first-served and you may access the page as often as you wish. Please keep in mind, though, that each time you are accepted into a plan, a record of that change will be recorded on your student record and transcript.
If you need help navigating SOLUS please visit this link.
All plans in Arts and Science have minimum academic requirements that a student must satisfy in order to be admitted to that plan. To view the thresholds for all plans in Arts and Science please visit your department page and see the "What it takes" handout under Degree Plans and Options.
Each plan will have an automatic acceptance threshold and a pending list threshold. Once you have decided which plan you wish to pursue, access SOLUS to request that plan. Be sure to enter your desired plan first. When you enter your request one of three outcomes will occur:
- Automatically Accepted - If you meet the automatic threshold for the plan you have requested you will receive a message on SOLUS telling you that you have been accepted into your plan. Once accepted, your plan information in SOLUS will be updated and a new entry denoting the change will be recorded on your SOLUS record and transcript. Every time you request a plan change and are accepted to a different plan, a new entry will be recorded on your SOLUS record and on your transcript.
Placed on a Pending (waiting) list- If you receive a message on SOLUS telling you that you have been placed on a pending list this means that your request will be manually reviewed by the department following the Plan Selection period (see below). In addition to being informed that you are on a pending list, SOLUS will also inform you that you must select an alternate plan that you can be automatically accepted to.
Students can only be on one pending list. If you are placed on a pending list, you must choose an alternate plan that you are automatically accepted in to. If you choose to leave SOLUS without being automatically accepted to a plan, you will be removed from the pending list. If you do not participate in plan selection you run the risk of not getting into the plan of your choice. It is critical that you are automatically accepted into a plan before the Plan selection period ends. Otherwise, you will not be able to register in your classes in July.
Following the Plan Selection process on SOLUS, departmental administrators will manually review all students on their pending lists. If a department accepts you from their pending list, your plan information in SOLUS will be updated and a new entry denoting the change will be recorded on your SOLUS record and transcript. You will receive an email once the department makes their decision.
REMEMBER: Departments will be reviewing their pending lists the week following Plan Selection so you may not see a change to your plan until after that date.
- Refused Admission for that Plan? If you do not meet the minimum requirements for the plan you want, please consider the following strategies:
- Plan selection strategies
- Program Plan Selection Flowchart