The Faculty of Arts and Science has several Tableau Dashboards developed in order to help administrators navigate student data.
- Enrolments (students enroled in classes)
- Plans (students enroled in plans)
- Classes Offered (courses & classes offered)
- Departmental Dashboard (by dept: enrolments, plans, classes, and faculty appts)
- Enrolment Tracking Dashboard (updated daily during registration)
Please send all request for access and/or questions directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hands on training on how to navigate the dashboards are typically 1 - 2 hours, can be in groups or individually.
Looking for more reports - contact email@example.com
- Summary Report for ASC Departments - Student Counts by Department, FTE for undergrad, grad and distance teaching, undergraduate and graduate plan counts by plan type, 2 fiscal years. Report in PDF.
- Other Queen's Reports
Tableau in Education
University sites with Tableau
- Appalachian College (with Enrolment migration, average class sizes, and more); select Student Headcount (duplicated) for auto-fit, multiple page viz
- Brock University Dynamic Data Visualizations
- Cornell Data Visualization Gallery, and Factbook - also Education "Vizzes in the Wild"
- Dartmouth Interactive Fact Book
- Fresno State - hover over simple summary graphs, links to detailed dashboards
- Humboldt State University - Institutional Planning Dashboards
- NSSE Reports, with links to interactive University NSSE reports
- Oxford University Student Statistics
- Rice University - space utilization
- Texas A&M University Metrics,
- University of Minnesota Classroom Utilization Dashboard
- University of Toronto, Graduate Outcomes Survey, also article in Globe and Mail
- University of Waterloo uses Tableau Stories to describe progress on meeeting strategic plan goals
- Utah State (select Tableau, course File Analysis for great view!)
Education & Tableau
- Higher Education Analytics - with John Boekenstedt's viz that made Carol decide she needed Tableau!
- Education Analytics, Higher Education, Higher Education Data Stories blog Education Viz Roundup, October 2015
- DePaul University (Jon Boekenstedt Public Vizzes, Public Resources, User Guide for Navigating Tableau Reports [2p PDF])
- Joe, the 8 yr old Tableau Viz Whiz
- Tableau papers - Education Reporting, 10 Times the Analysis in half the Time, with Half the Staff (Cornell's Tableau Story)
Tableau is Free for Students and Instructors!
See https://www.tableau.com/academic for more information!
How to access Tableau Server
Faculty of Arts and Science Dean’s Office
Associate Deans – all access to dashboards
Key Administrative Staff – approved on a as needed bases
Departmental Administrative Offices
Departmental Chairs – all access to key departmental dashboards
Below groupings granted access as per the approval of the Departmental Chair and assuming that the person already has access to the student information software at Queen’s.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Coordinators (Faculty members)
- Key administrative staff members
Non-Arts and Science Staff and Faculty members
Staff and faculty members not within the Faculty of Arts and Science may be granted access to the Faculty of Arts and Science’s dashboard on an as needed base. This access will need to be approved by Faculty of Arts and Science Dean’s Office.
Please send all request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The reports that are available via the ASC Tableau Dashboards do not contain identifying information and only display aggregated data. However, when sharing information (from these reports OR from Queen's PeopleSoft ‘SOLUS’) ALWAYS take care to follow the data sharing rules as outlined by the Records Management and Privacy Office as well as the ITS Mass Email Communication Policywhen contacting students, faculty, and staff.
Strategic Plan Update Form
Submit your updates on progress on Strategic Plan initiatives for inclusion in FAS Faculty Board meeting reports and annual reviews.
- Resources on Provost website: Budget Planning, Enrolment Planning
- Queen's Office of Institutional Research and Planning has Enrolment, Headcounts, FTE, BIU counts for Queen's, also links to other Universities