Study Abroad

Each year, hundreds of Queen's students earn credit toward their undergraduate degrees while studying in another country. Whether you wish to complete a full course load during a year or term abroad, or earn a single credit during a short-term program in another country, the IPO (International Programs Office) will work with you and your academic department(s) to identify a program suited to your learning goals. We urge you to consider all of your international study options as early as possible, so that you may plan ahead to incorporate a study abroad experience within your undergraduate program.

Our Castle in England 

Bader College, housed in Herstmonceux Castle, is owned and operated by Queen’s University. Located in southern England, the Bader College offers a unique form of liberal arts education in an international context. The courses available range from English Literature to Geography to Mathematics, and many are specially designed to take advantage of the location of the Bader College. 

The Bader College offers an innovative First-Year Program that allows highly qualified students to study abroad in their first year of university.  Centered on the themes Thinking Locally and Acting Globally, the Bader College First Year Program is a package specifically designed to build on the Castle’s strengths— small class sizes, vibrant community, and international setting—in order to provide a strong academic foundation for the students and develop crucial skills that will enhance their future employability. An Upper-Year Program (Fall Term; Winter Term; Summer Term [May-June Session or August Session]) offers students the opportunity to attend the Bader College for one or more academic terms while earning Queen’s credits towards degree programs. Students may design their own program of study from the broad range of courses offered at the Bader College. The Bader College provides an ideal base for course-related field studies in the Sussex downs, in London and Northern England, and on the Continent.

The First-Year Program at the Bader College is the only program of its kind in Canada in which students spend a full year studying abroad. Academic data shows that on average, incoming students from the Bader College achieve higher grades than their classmates in Kingston in subsequent years of their undergraduate education. Students in the First-Year Program are admitted to a full university degree program at Queen's University, completing their remaining years of undergraduate study at the Kingston campus.

International Exchanges

The Faculty of Arts and Science has established formal exchange partnerships with over 85 universities in 24 countries worldwide and growing. Many of the partners listed are bilateral exchanges which are agreements between Queen's and another university.  There are also a number of consortial exchange which students can also apply to for exchange.  The partners are sorted by country and each country page contains some useful information and links to other resources to assist with researching your exchange country. 

Bilateral Exchanges

The Faculty of Arts and Science has developed a number of bilateral exchanges with individual overseas universities. Under this arrangement, Queen’s students spend part or all of their third year at one of the partner universities but pay tuition and ancillary fees to Queen’s. All second-year Arts and Science students are eligible to apply upon condition that they return to Queen’s to complete their honours year. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.6 at the time of application is required to be considered for most exchange partner universities. Selected exchange partners require a minimum GPA of 3.0. All students selected to participate in an international exchange are eligible to apply for an exchange bursary. Further details, and a list of exchange partners, can be found on the IPO website.

Consortial Exchanges

Students may take part in the exchange programs organized by provincial and national consortia that give access to about 75 universities in various locations worldwide such as China, Europe, India, and the United States. A minimum GPA of 2.6 is required for the application. Financial support from some programs may be available. Each consortial exchange has a separate application process and further details can be found on the IPO website.

Queen's Study Abroad Programs

In order to find the school or study abroad program that is the right fit, students must take the time to investigate and research a variety of options. Students must determine what courses are available, how the courses will fit with their degree at Queen's or their home institution, and whether the location will work for you. This process, much like selecting your exchange partner institution, requires time, careful analysis, and discussion with parents, department heads and academic advisors if necessary.

Students interested in pursuing studies abroad are strongly advised to become familiar during their first year with the range of options open to them, in order to determine which options best meet their needs. The International Programs Office runs a series of information sessions in the fall term, designed to outline study-abroad options and to provide additional information on specific programs.

Independent Study Abroad

Students may take part in study abroad programs administered by other universities, such as:

  • the Canadian Field Studies in Africa program managed by McGill University,
  • the Trent-in-Ecuador or Trent-in-Ghana programs managed by Trent University, or
  • the Dalhousie Cuba Semester program managed by Dalhousie University.

Students may even spend a term at sea accumulating transfer credits with the Semester-at-Sea program sponsored by the University of Virginia or participate in a language immersion program.

A period of study abroad can last as little as a few weeks and as long as a year, depending on the type of course and/or program and university in which the student intends to study. 

To participate in these study abroad programs, students must apply for admission to the host university and pay tuition fees directly to that institution. 

Also, students must apply for an International Letter of Permission (ILOP)  to receive transfer credit(s) for the courses taken and to retain their Queen's academic status.

See a list of popular study abroad programs at Queen's University

International Letter of Permission and Transfer of Credits

Arts and Science students who wish to participate in a study-abroad experience at another educational institution where Queen’s does not have a formal exchange agreement must apply for an International Letter of Permission through the International Programs Office for the specific courses to be taken. The International Letter of Permission serves as a guarantee that courses taken abroad will be accepted for credit towards a Queen’s degree, and must therefore be obtained prior to making any commitments to a university abroad. Applications can be obtained from the International Programs Office or downloaded from the website. Students should note that course credit will be transferred to Queen’s, but a TR designation will appear on the Queen’s transcript, not the grade achieved at the host institution.

Financial Assistance: Queen's Commitment to International Education

Queen's commitment to international education is supported by a variety of scholarships and bursaries, designed to aid students on exchange or at the Bader College in meeting the costs of these valued educational opportunities. Information on financial assistance for study abroad is available through the International Programs Office and the Office of Student Awards.

International Programs Office
Phone: 613-533-2815

Also see information about the Mitacs Globalink Research Award below.

International Studies Certificate

Enhance your education by including a formal international academic component in your degree studies. The Faculty of Arts and Science offers a Certificate in International Studies that is open to any student pursuing a degree at Queen's. Combining language acquisition with cultural and interdisciplinary learning and a study abroad component, the International Studies Certificate is awarded with your degree when you graduate, and is recognized on your academic transcript. With the International Studies Certificate, Queen's is helping to prepare citizens and leaders for an increasingly global society.

International Programs Office

The International Programs Office (IPO) provides academic support for internationalization in the Faculty of Arts and Science by delivering information and counsel to undergraduate Arts and Science students and faculty members about international opportunities for academic study and exchange. The IPO also works cooperatively with its exchange partners worldwide and facilitates the integration of incoming students from partner universities into courses in the Faculty of Arts and Science. For Queen’s students wishing to enhance their degree program with a formalized component in International Studies, the International Programs Office administers a Senate-approved Certificate in International Studies.

International Programs Office
Phone: 613-533-2815

Mitacs Globalink Research Award

Mitacs, a national, non-for-profit organization, designs and delivers research and training programs in Canada.

One of the awards they offer, The Mitacs Globalink Research Award, is a $6000 international travel award for senior undergraduate or graduate students in Canada to conduct a 12-24 week research project at a university in a partner country.