International Students

Queen's students come from over 120 countries and make up some of the most academically accomplished students in the country.  As one of 1,300+ international students studying at Queen's, you’ll meet people like yourself – and others who are very different. Your fellow students will be among the most interesting, creative, and stimulating individuals you will ever encounter.

Whether you’re enrolled in a degree program, an exchange program, or English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) program, Queen’s balances excellence with innovation, creating learning experiences that are enriched by a research-intensive environment. Queen’s challenges students intellectually, and our students rise to the challenge.

Excellence is pursued in many forms, not just in the classroom or laboratory. You will be able to explore your passions in sports teams, student government, and our various clubs and societies. Through the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) and other organizations, you will find the support and resources you need at Queen’s to help you settle into life at a new university and in a new country. We invite you to become part of our Arts and Science community, and to share in the Queen’s spirit – a bold, enduring spirit of initiative.

Awards and Bursaries for International Students

We recognize a university education is a major financial undertaking. That's why Queen's offers a variety of financial aid programs available to assist International and U.S. students studying at Queen's. 

Study Permits and Entry Visas

If you are planning to study in Canada for one term (less than 6 months):

  • you may study under temporary resident status as a visitor

For any period longer than 6 months (two terms):

  • Study Permit is required. Students from some countries may require a temporary resident visa (entry visa) to be eligible to enter Canada. The temporary resident visa (if required) will automatically be issued as part of a successful Study Permit application. 
  • To get a study permit and/or a temporary resident visa (entry visa) you may apply through a Canadian visa office or visa application centre (VAC) outside of Canada or you may be eligible to apply online. 
  • The study permit application costs CAN$150 (or the equivalent in local currency), while a temporary resident visa application (if made on its own - without a study permit application) costs CAN$100. 
  • These applications can take as little as a few days and as long as 3 months to be processed.

General requirements include:

  • A valid passport;
  • Proof of acceptance from Queen’s University;
  • Proof of adequate funds to cover living expenses for you and any dependents coming to Canada with you. Generally accepted evidence includes personal bank statements and/or letters pledging financial support from family or other sponsors;
  • A medical examination may be required;
  • Citizens of some countries must provide biometrics (digital photographs and fingerprints).

It is extremely important that you check with the visa office that you are applying to as each office may have additional requirements. Be sure to keep copies of all documents sent to and from the Canadian visa office.

More information on Studying in Canada

Admissions and Applications

Academic Requirements:

Review the International High School Student Admission Requirements on the Undergraduate Admissions website to figure out what the academic requirements are for the program(s) you are interested in.

English Language Requirements:

Learn about English language requirements and the Test of Facility in English on the Undergraduate Admission website.

How to Apply:

Visit the How to Apply webpage on the Undergraduate Admissions website to learn how to apply.


Go to the OUAC website and look for the "OUAC 105" category, which handles out-of-province and out-of country applicants. The Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) processes all undergraduate and professional applications to the province’s universities.

Supporting Your Academic Success

Excellent students need support. As an Arts and Science student, you will have a team of dedicated academic advisors, student services staff, instructors, peer advisors, and librarians supporting you from before you step foot on campus to the moment you cross the stage at graduation.

Queen's University International Centre (QUIC)

The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) provides welcome and orientation services whenever a student, scholar or staff member arrives. They also provide assistance to all international students, staff, and faculty coming to Queen's. Their dedicated staff can assist you with obtaining the mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and provide resources for preparing for your time at Queen's as well as information on arrival to Canada, Queen's University, and Kingston.

Learn more about QUIC

Queen's University English Bridging Program

QBridge is a university preparation program for students who have received a conditional offer of acceptance to an undergraduate program at Queen's University.

QBridge is designed to provide you with academic English language training prior to studies at Queen's. From the end of June until August, you will participate in an intensive English language program at Queen's School of English (QSoE), completing the program in time to enrol in full-time degree studies in September.

This program helps to build the skills necessary for academic success and helps you gain an understanding of the expectations for studying at Queen's University. This student-centered immersion program integrates the four language skills, reading, writing, listening and speaking, at an academic level. It is more academically challenging and rigorous than standard lecture and test format courses and more in keeping with a communicative classroom style. Students are expected to communicate their ideas orally, and to analyze and critique the ideas of others, as they fine tune their academic English skills.

Successful students will demonstrate a high level of academic ability while engaging in English study, attending and listening to lectures, writing essays, and participating in presentations, seminars and debates.

Learn more about QBridge

Daralyn Auld - Academic Advisor for International Students

Meet Daralyn Auld, our Academic Advisor for International Students. Daralyn plays a key role in ensuring international students receive a quality education, and academic support throughout their degree in Arts and Science.

2+2 Articulation Program

Field Trip

If you are an international student from China, consider applying for the 2+2 Articulation Program. Chinese students from the following universities can complete two years at their home university and spend the next two years at Queen’s. They are awarded a degree from both universities.

  • Jilin University – for undergraduate studies in Computer Engineering
  • Tongji University – for undergraduate studies in Environmental Science
  • Beijing Normal University – for undergraduate studies in Biology

For more information and to apply, students can inquire within their home university.

Learn more