Take Courses at Queen's

As a student currently at another university, you can take Queen’s courses to supplement your current studies by getting a Letter of Permission from your current school which explicitly states the course codes and term you’d like to enrol in at Queen’s.

Once you have received permission from your home university, then you may apply to Queen's by the application deadline for Visiting Students. Please see our Important Dates for the applicable deadline.

You must submit your Letter of Permission (LOP) to us before the end of the term in which you are taking a course here.

Please note that enrolment in future terms at Queen's will require a new Letter of Permission, and will require that you apply again.

Application fee

Yes, there is a $100 application fee which can be paid by credit card at the end of the application. If you do not have a credit card (Visa or Mastercard) you may use a combo credit/debit, though you may need to contact your bank to give approval for “Queen’s University” to be added as a payee. Alternatively, you may purchase a “re-loadable credit card,” and use this to pay the application fee.

Application and admission process

Apply now

Our step-by-step guide for you to apply:

Step 1 – Select “Letter of Permission/Non-Degree” under the External Applicant heading

Apply Step 1

Step 2 – Selects field as show in image

Apply Step 2

Step 3 - Personal Details, Contact Information, Immigration Status in Canada, Post-Secondary Information, and Secondary (High School) Education details. 

Step 4 – Review everything you have entered on Screens 1 to 3. 

Step 5 – Read our Terms and Conditions page, and provide your digital signature. 

Step 5 – Proceed to payment for your tuition. 

After filling out your application, please add @queensu to your safe email senders list to ensure that you will receive all your emails from Queen's and they aren't filtered to a junk folder. We will use the email address you used on your application for all application communications with you. The Admission Office will send an email about how to track the status of your application and submit the documentation required to support your application.

Set up your NetID

Your NetID is your login for the Queen’s online Student Centre. Once you apply, you will receive an email with your student number. You will use this to create your NetID following these steps:

  1. Go to https://my.queensu.ca
  2. Click on Students, then select NetID Profile Manager.
  3. Click on Activate your NetID
  4. Record your NetID, you will need it every time you log into SOLUS, OnQ, and your Queen’s email account.

Access your Queen’s Email

As a Queen’s student, you have a permanent Queen’s email address that consists of your netid@queensu.ca. All communication from Queen’s will go to this email address. Check it frequently or consider forwarding it to your most commonly accessed email address.

Log in to Queen's Email

To forward Your Queen's email to another email address

  • Click on the ‘Settings’ icon in the top right corner to open the Settings sidebar
  • Click ‘View all Outlook settings’ at the bottom of the Settings sidebar 
  • From the Mail settings list click ‘Forwarding’ 
  • Tick mark ‘Enable forwarding’ 
  • Enter the email address you want your Queen’s email to be forwarded to.
  • Click ‘Save’ 

Multi-Factor Authentication Process

To enhance cybersecurity protection at Queen’s University and to help keep users identity and personal information safe, IT Services has introduced multi-factor authentication (MFA) on all student accounts. This means all students will be required to provide their NetID and password as well as a second method to verify their identity when logging in.

What do I need to do?

What happens if I don’t enrol?

If you have not enrolled in MFA, you will be prompted to do so at each log in to most Queen’s applications. These prompts will continue for up to 14 days. If you still have not enrolled in MFA you will lose access to SOLUS until you complete the enrolment process.


For further assistance, or if you do not have a device to use as your second factor, contact the IT Support Centre by visiting the online Service Portal and clicking on Get IT Help (log in with your NetID and password to fill out the form). You can also call 613-533-6666 (see the IT Services website for hours). Read the FAQs for more information on MFA.

Navigate SOLUS

SOLUS Student Centre is the Queen’s online student portal that you can use to pay tuition and fees, add/drop courses, view grades and print many forms including confirmations of registration or tuition tax receipts. Log into SOLUS using your Queen’s NetID and password.

  • Go to http://my.queensu.caand select SOLUS in the top left corner
  • enter your Queen's NET ID and password
  • click "log in"
  • See SOLUS Frequently Asked Questions here
  • For help with SOLUS, call 613-533-2040 or email fees@queensu.ca

Pay your Tuition

Tuition is generally due on the first day of class. Please make note of the upcoming tuition due dates per term.

METHOD Bank Transfer

  • Using online or in-person banking, find Queen's University as a Payee
  • Use your 8-digit student number as the 'account number'
  • Once set up, you can pay this payee using funds directly from your bank account online, in person, or by telephone.

Please note that some payments can take between 3- 5 business days to reflect in your Queen's account.

Only students on a degree program are eligible for government funding such as OSAP. You may also benefit from applying for an Alternative Payment Arrangement. For more information on how to pay, visit the Registrar's webpage.

The Office of the Registrar can help with all questions about fees and payments. 613-533-6894 or fees@queensu.ca

Student Awards can help you with questions about OSAP, financial aid, bursaries and awards. 613-533-2216. 

Order a Student Card

As a distance student, you can get a Queen’s Student Card that you can use for your exams as well as other privileges and perks that many retailers and service providers may extend to students. Please visit the Registrar's website and select the "I am studying off-campus" tab if you would like to get a Queen’s photo ID Student Card or a validation sticker for your existing Queen's Student Card. Please make sure that your current address is up to date in SOLUS as this is where the card will be sent. If you have any questions about this process, please email student.card@queensu.ca.

Inclusive Queen's

You belong here. Learn about the resources, programs, and new initiatives that are helping us to build a campus that embraces diversity and empowers all members of our community to thrive at Queen’s.

Inclusive Queen's

Course Registration

The Summer term is broken into three different sessions: May- June (6 weeks), May-July (12 weeks) and July to August (6 weeks). Each session runs at an accelerated rate compared to the usual Fall and Winter terms.  As a result, you can expect double the workload when enrolling in Summer term courses, with the exception of any 3.0-unit courses being offered during the May-July (12 weeks) session. It is recommended that you do not take more than 2 courses at the same time during the Summer term. 

Once you have enrolled in courses, you are academically and financially responsible for the associated tuition fees. If you decide that you are no longer interested in keeping your course(s), it is important that you drop your course(s) on SOLUS. See the resources below to help you. To learn more about managing your finances please visit the SOLUS Centre webpage.

Refer to Important Dates for the deadlines by which you must be registered in a May-June, May-July, and/or July/August course and the last date by which you may drop a course in each session. Note that there is an early deadline to drop for a full refund.


When you attempt to enrol in a course that requires a prerequisite, SOLUS will look at your Queen’s student record to see if you meet the requirement. You will not be able to enrol in a course unless the required prerequisite is showing complete (or “In Progress” in the case of a co-requisite) on your Queen’s student record.

If you believe you have completed the prerequisites elsewhere, you may reach out to the Undergraduate Chair of the Department who is offering the course using your Queen’s email to explain why you want to enrol in the course.  You will need to attach a copy of your transcript, include your student number, and outline your academic background with this subject area. If you receive department permission, you may forward their response to asc.studentservices@queensu.ca so we can help you enrol in the course

Enrolling in a course

How to enrol in a course guide

Common Enrolling Issues

  • Course Full - If you are not able to find a specific course in the class search, it is possible that the class is full. Once a course is closed due to being full, students may choose to join the wait list for the class. By adding yourself to a wait list, you are acknowledging that you may be auto enrolled and will therefore be responsible for the additional tuition and for dropping the class if you no longer wish to take it.

**NOTE - Students who are in an Undergraduate Online Career are limited to enrolling in online courses only and are not permitted to enrol in on-campus courses.

Dropping a Course

How to drop a course guide

How to drop a course after the Academic drop deadline has passed: 

If you are attempting to drop a course after the academic drop deadline has passed, an academic appeal will need to be submitted outlining your extenuating circumstances that prevented you from dropping the course before the deadline. Please refer to the appeals section of our website. If you would like to speak with an academic advisor about your circumstances, please email asc.studentservices@queensu.ca to book an appointment. Please refer to our Important Dates webpage for academic/financial drop deadlines.