Peer Academic Support Service

Peer Academic Support Service (P.A.S.S.) is a volunteer service that is run through the Faculty of Arts and Science to assist first-year students. The service is designed to ease student transition into university and to promote academic success. Peer Advisors address common questions and concerns (scheduling, plan requirements, SOLUS, and selecting courses) during confidential, non-judgmental advising sessions. PASS also deliver brief presentations at key periods during the year to address common questions and concerns of Arts and Science students, such as preregistration for second year plans and courses.

Who is PASS?

The PASS team is made up of upper year volunteers from a range of programs and disciplines in the Faculty of Arts and Science.  All Peer Advisors have been trained to comment and answer questions concerning all areas of study.

Meet the 2017/2018 Pass Team!

Drop-in Advising Details

No appointment is necessary, so feel free to drop in at your convenience and chat with a Peer Advisor. PASS is located on the First Floor of Dunning Hall and is available Monday to Friday from 9:00 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 4:00 pm.

  • Fall Term 2017: PASS advising runs from September 3rd to November 28th.
  • Winter Term 2018: PASS advising runs from January 5th to April 3rd.

Questions or concerns may also be directed to which is monitored by Peer Advisors on a regular basis. 

Should I meet with a Peer Advisor or an Academic Advisor?

Speak with a Peer Advisor for questions about:

  • Navigating SOLUS 
  • Adding/dropping courses
  • Using the Arts and Science Course Calendar
  • Choosing and changing degree programs, plans, and courses
  • Continuing & Distance Studies
  • Summer Studies
  • Referrals to other services

Speak with an Academic Advisor in the Faculty Office for questions about:

  • Dual Degrees: Questions about dual degrees (for example, an Arts and Science degree along with a degree from another faculty such as Commerce)
  • Academic Withdrawal: Taking time off from your degree (ex. if you are sick, if you are taking a year off for travel, etc)
  • Transfer Credits: Transferring credits from the IB program or other universities
  • Transfer to other Faculties: Consult an advisor from both Arts & Science and the Faculty into which you wish to transfer
  • Appeals to the Associate Deans (Studies): Advisors can discuss your options and guide you through the appeal process
  • Letters of Permission: Navigating the application process for taking a course for credit at another University

Letters to QECO: Advisors can provide students with 'credits completed over and above' letters for Qualifications Evaluations Council of Ontario.